Visit Central America >>

Enter your username
and password

Register for specials



1 What types of identification are necessary to enter Honduras?

Most visitors from the U.S. , Central and South America need a valid passport. Travelers from other countries may need a visa.

2 What about minors traveling to Honduras?

In Honduras, like many other countries, any person under the age of 18 is considered a minor. Very strict regulations govern travel by minors into Honduras. For example, if traveling alone, the minor must have a notarized consent form signed by both parents. If traveling with only one parent, the minor must have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent not traveling.

3 Is it safe to travel in Honduras?

The government of Honduras is working hard to improve safety throughout the country for both citizens and tourists. Safety in most cities are comparable with other big cities around the world. It is advisable not to carry a lot of cash. Store any valuables in your hotel's safe when possible and keep a copy of your important document numbers (passport, visa, travelers checks, etc.) in a safe place.


4 What should I pack?

Packing for Honduras differs depending on where you go. The central plateau and mountainous zones tend to be cool, while the coastal regions are warmer with relatively high humidity. The time of year can also play a part. The rainy season runs from May to October, it is advisable to carry a raincoat. If you go sightseeing bring sturdy hiking boots and wear light, loose clothing, which is great for trekking. Conservative attire is best for smaller towns and the interior of the country while sporty, comfortable beachwear is ideal for resort areas. When traveling to Honduras, bug repellent is usually a good idea in the National Parks and some beaches. Sunscreen is also a must because of Honduran bright sunshine and long days.

5 Where can I exchange my currency?

US dollars are easily exchanged for Lempiras in banks, major hotels, airports and exchange houses. Most honduran banks are open on weekdays only from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Exchange houses are open longer and offer quicker service (and usually a better exchange rate) than banks.

6 How much is the sales tax?

A 12 percent value added tax (“ ISV ” ) is added to all retail items except medicine. Some luxury goods have a higher tax.

7 Should I bring adapters for my small appliances?

Standard current is 110 volt AC, as in the US, however adapters are useful because three prong outlets are not widely available.

8 Should I be concerned about the water?

Purified water is used in beverages and ice and for cooking in all big-city hotels and restaurants. It is best to stick with bottled water and beverages, without ice, in outlying areas.

9 Marriage

If you are NOT a honduran citizen, you will be required the following documents:

· A valid passport
· A certified copy of your birth certificate (1)
· A certified copy of your police record (2)
· An Affidavit of Single Status (3)

If you are marrying a Honduran citizen, your future spouse will require the following documents:

· A Honduran identity card ("tarjeta de Identidad")
· A Certificate of Single Status issued by the Civil Registry ("Certificado de Soltería del Registro Civil")

If you have been married before, you will require these additional documents:
· A certified copy of the divorce decree (1) or
· A certified copy of your previous spouse's death (1)

You will need two witnesses to your wedding - non-relatives preferred.
They must have the following documents:

For non-Honduran citizens:
· A valid passport for at least six months

For honduran citizens:
· A Honduran Identity card ("Cédula de Identidad")

Marriages legally performed and valid in Honduras are also legally valid in other countries.

Your marriage will be legally recognized in the U.S. when you or your lawyer who performed the ceremony submits your marriage certificate with the appropriate certifications to the U.S. Embassy in Honduras.

10 Where to go to get tourism information in Honduras?

The information offices are located:

Copan Ruinas
Karla Leiva
Coordinator of the municipality unit of tourism in Copan Ruinas
Office: Chamber of commerce of Copan

Sergio Lobo
Tel.882-4401, 882-3876
Tourism Office
President of the Chambero f tourism of south

David Bodden
Coordinator of the municipality unit of tourism in Guanaja

La Ceiba
La Ceiba
Maribel Espinoza
Coordinator of the municipality unit of tourism in La Ceiba

Policía de Turismo
Sheriff: Juan Lopez Rochez
Office: Nacional Police behind bus stop
Tel. 441-6288
Tel. 199
Cel. 970-4296

La Moskitia
Tourism information available in La Ceiba

Policía de Turismo
Inspector Jaime Barahona
Office: Bo La punta coxen hole
Tel . 199
Cel .982 8542

San Pedro Sula
Policía de Turismo
Subinspector : Maria Martha Bu
Office: 1st street next to Francisco Morazan Stadium
Tel 199
Celular 959-5525
Municipal Institute of tourism
Central Park San pedro Sula

Tourism Information Office
Office: Col. San Carlos Europa Building 5th. Floor .
Sheriff Jose Jair Meza Barahona
Office: Col. San Carlos Europa Building 5th. Floor .
Tel.222-2124 ext. 535
Cel. 392-5157
Tourism Information Office
At the airport nest to the internacional flights exit

Vannesa Merlo
Coordinator of the municipality
unit of tourism in Tela
Tel.448-2102 ext.126
Policía de Turismo
Inspector Geovany Murillo Urbina
Office: calle prolongación del boulevard costero parqueo municipal
Tel. 448-2086
Tel. 448-0150
Cel. 999-2112


Honduras Indómita >>


From US$:
Up to US$:

Word or Phrase:

Activities such as:

Honduras Indómita >>

Home :: Frequently Asked Questions :: Site Map :: Contact Us :: Español ::
Destinations ::
Nature :: Archaeology :: Beaches and Reefs :: Colonial :: Living Cultures :: Modern Cities ::
Travel Directory :: Online Packages :: Press Room :: About Us :: Statistics :: Investments
:: Current Legislation :: Secretary General :: Privacy Policy ::